Over the past years at Vida, we have been asked numerous times about strength training for junior tennis players. Working with young players, it is important to get the right balance of training on and off the court.
Strength is the key building block for physical development and in turn tennis development eg. Speed, power, mobility, agility, flexibility etc). Junior tennis players need to ensure they get stronger and have a balanced body to not only improve performance, but to prevent injuries. For junior tennis player to get the most out of their training and development, the building blocks to a stable body must be developed. This is critical for long term success!
This Strength and Conditioning program is designed for athletes aged 10 to 13 to ensure the fundamental movement are established and developed. These include
All exercise prescription will be bodyweight or very low resistances through therabands, dumbells, kettlebells, medicine balls etc until each individual player can demonstrate the capacity to perform the exercise with proper technique. The focus for this program will be based on developing:
- Dynamic and tennis specific warm up with concentration on good technique and body awareness (theraband work included)
- Footwork and movement patterns
- Basic strength and stability
- Improving mobility & flexibility
- Coordination- connecting the upper and lower body
- Reaction and anticipation
- Balance and stability
- Prehabilitation based on known predisposition to injuries that tennis players will likely encounter throughout their adolescents and beyond
Performing these basic fundamental strength exercises on a regular basis will give young tennis players a great platform to build on in the future. It is the best way to educate them on good functional biomechanics and help prevent tennis injuries. Developing and strengthening these movements will enable junior players to move better, have more power and recover more effectively. It is especially important for young athletes to understand and be consciously aware of these movement patterns. When athletes start to lift weights, not having these fundamentals engrained can be detrimental to long-term success and increase the chance of injury.
This is a key driver in why we are launching the new Strength & Conditioning program for Junior Tennis players.
The Program Details
- Ages: 10-13 years old (if you are just either side of this age please contact us to discuss options)
- Location, Day and Time: Saturday 11.30am-12.30pm or 12.30pm-1.30pm - Veneto Club, Bulleen (191 Bulleen Road Bulleen)
- Location, Day and Time: Wednesdays 5.30pm-6.30pm - MCC Glen iris Valley TC (260 High Street Road, Mt Waverley)
- The facility: Performance gym studio, indoor and outdoor cross training space, tennis courts, synthetic pitch, boxing studio
- The trainer: Jo Karaitiana - former professional tennis player, Strength and Conditioning Coach and US college graduate.
- Cost: $175 for a 7 week term oe $200 for an eight week term
- Dates: 5th Feb until 28th March - No session over the long weekend
- Register - Via the form below. Must sign up by Tuesday 28th to secure place
- Important information: To secure your position in this program you must pay upfront for the term. There is not a pay as you go option. Once 16 players have been confirmed, you will no longer be able to join the program (this is a first in, first served program).