Sport is culturally significant in our society and plays a key role in bridging diversity and making our city the great place it is. Vida Tennis is excited to announce our new initiative, Tennis without Barriers – Connecting Cultures.
Our vision for the program is to create an opportunity for people new to Australia to connect and be a part of the tennis community.
Tennis will become the conduit to connect people from diverse cultures and help drive a real sense of belonging through shared experiences.
The program will be open to any new adults to Melbourne and promote tennis, health, and community connection. Each Sunday starting from the 21st of July Vida will facilitate tennis lessons and social tennis play at MCC Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club and help people learn a new skill or re-connecting with tennis. While playing tennis will be the activity, the real outcome will be connecting people within the community and the tennis club. Tennis is a sport for life and a sport for everyone and we welcome all new people to Melbourne into our club.
Vida would like to thanks Tennis Victoria for their support of the program through the ACE Grants Inclusion & Diversity program.
- Where: MCC Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club – 260 High Street Road Mt Waverley
- Dates: Sunday 21st July to Sunday 15th September (weekly)
- When: 1 pm to 3 pm
- Who: The program is available to anyone over the age of 18
- Cost: Free
- Contact: Martin Vazquez Jones
0401 875 299
How do I join the program?
Scroll to the bottom of this page and register.
Some other FAQ’s
- How do I get there? There is plenty of parking onsite or public transport is easily accessible. Jordanville, on the Glen Waverley Line, is the closest train station and there is a bus stop right in front of the club.
- Do I need a tennis racquet? If you have one, bring it along. If no, we can lead you one for the day.
- Do I need to have played tennis before? Absolutely not, if you have played before, great, if not, come and give it a go.
- What do I wear? Comfortable clothing
- Do I have to come each week? Preferably yes but we understand things come up. If you can not make it, just let Martin know so he can plan the sessions based on how many people are coming?
- Can I join if the program has already started? Sure, just fill in the form and Martin will be in contact to confirm everything.
What Happens after the Program
After the initial program, participants will receive 50% off regular adult tennis group classes as well as a free 3-month club membership (October to December 2019) to continue to play and enjoy the connections made during the program.
Who is Martin, the program leader?
Martin has been with Vida Tennis for 18months since arriving from Argentina. He is an accomplished tennis coach but more importantly, he is passionate about people and helping all people feel welcome, included and inspired. His positive attitude is contagious and you will love spending time with him on the courts at MCC Glen Iris.
Some facts about diversity in Melbourne
- One in five people speak a language other than English at home
- Overseas migration makes up over 60% of our population growth
- One in four Australias were born overseas
We welcome you to try tennis with us and experience our environment